Onychophagia (also known as onychophagy) or nail biting is a habit of constantly placing your nails near your mouth and using your teeth to peel the top. It is triggered by stress, excitement, or boredom.
Here are the unhealthy effects of biting your nails:
· Nail biting harms your teeth, leading to poorly aligned, weakened teeth.
· Leaves your fingers sore
· Skin around your nails may bleed and become infected
· Swallowing dirty nails can result to stomach problems caused by has germs
· For those patients with braces, nail biting weakens teeth roots, and could actually loosen or brake the brackets themselves.
· Increases dental problems such as gingival injury and malocclusion of the anterior teeth
· Fingernails may become severely deformed
Nail biting is a bad habit that can only make your hands look unsightly and damage teeth or even your gums. If you are trying to quit, try these simple solutions:
· Keep nails trimmed short.
· Apply a clear, bitter-tasting nail polish to the nails
· Try yoga or any healthy activities or exercise to manage your stress
Consult to your doctor if nail biting persists. It could be a sign of a more serious psychological problem. Remember that your physical features reveal your real age and one part is your nails. Keep it healthy and clean!